Sunday, May 6, 2012

Episode #031, 06.05.2012: Blimey!, Cor blimey!

Sound: /ˈblaɪmi/
blimey, interjection. (UK, Australian; vulgar) of surprise etc. [= God blind me or God blame me]
cor blimey, interjection. (dated, UK) An exclamation of surprise.
In a sentence: “Blimey, Harry! I didn't know you could do that!”
If you have watched the Harry Potter movies, Ron says this one a lot. Blimey is an abbreviation (shortening) of God blind me or God blame me.
As cursing with God’s name is thought to violate the third commandment, cor blimey is a so-called minced oath, an alteration (modification) of blimey; it’s a euphemism in order to remove the objectionable characteristic. Cor is a substitute for god, which has, as far as I know, no other meaning.

This is the script to an episode.
You can listen to this episode at: awordaweek.podomatic.com
Please subscribe!
Intro and outro music in the podcast: The Jam by General Fuzz
Like the A Word A Week page on facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment