Sunday, December 18, 2011

Episode #011, 18.12.2011: caboodle

caboodle, noun. Slang. The whole caboodle, all the lot (persons or things). U.S., of unknown origin; compare boodle.
Boodle, noun. Crowd, pack, lot.
In a sentence: “First he wanted to take just certain things, but then he took the whole caboodle.”
Caboodle is a US slang term from the mid 19th century. Myself I have never heard this funny sounding word in that sense.
However, Elliot Reid, one of the main characters in the series Scrubs, uses the term. When asked about it, she replies, “It’s a word I'm trying out to replace ass. I have loose morals and I'm living in sin. I'm still hoping that not being a potty mouth will get me into heaven!”
She also uses her made-up word caboodle hole. Sounds a lot nicer, doesn’t it? But then again, what’s the point of insulting then?

This is the script to an episode.
You can listen to this episode at: awordaweek.podomatic.com
Please subscribe!
Intro and outro music in the podcast: The Jam by General Fuzz (generalfuzz.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment